Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Half Marathon!

Lovely cell phone pic while waiting for race time to start!
Let me start off by saying that 10 years ago if you would have told me that in 10 years I would pay someone to let me run 13 miles, I would have totally laughed in your face. So, 10 years ago I was 220 pounds watching a 15k race coming down Blacksmith Fork Canyon in Hyrum, Utah. As we watched these amazing runners in their 9 mile race, I noticed that runners weren't fat. Right then and there I determined that I would start running. Well, before that happened, we were lucky to get pregnant and welcome little Stephanie to our family. We bought a treadmill from shopko, and I started walking. One day I bumped it up a notch and ran 1 minute. NOT 1 mile, but 1 minute. I was huffing, puffing, and wheezing, but I ran a minute. Little by little I added more time to my running, and I started losing weight.


About 2 years after my little Stephanie was born, I had lost about 50 pounds, and was at the starting line of that same 15k race down Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Profoundly it was named "The Freedom Run". It symbolized to me the journey I had taken - the freedom from my weight, the freedom from doubting myself.


Well, it's now been 8 years after that. I have ran 2 more 15k races, and still run 6 days a week. I have lost a total of 90 pounds. My neighbor took up the running habit after having her little baby as well. She has lost 50 pounds too. As we sat talking about our running addiction, we talked about when the next half marathon was. Then, the next thing I knew we were in training! After working up from 7 miles,


here's one of our training runs!



we found ourselves at the starting line of the Top of Utah Half Marathon this morning!

I am 33 years old, I weigh 35 pounds less than I did when I graduated from high school. I have maintained a healthy weight for over 9 years. I feel awesome!!! I hope to continue this quest of daily running until the day my joints give out! Here's to a future marathon!!!!




14 comments:

Angela said...

You are an inspiration, and you DO look amazing! Congrats on this awesome accomplishment.

Cyndi said...

congrats! what an amazing story!

Lynja said...

I remember the beginning and it is very nice to see that you have keep it up. I can't believe it has been 9 years. wow you are the women:)

Sara said...

Amber I am so proud of you for your accomplishments. You look amazing! I have been walking 3.5 miles a day for about a month I hope that with time I will be in your shoes and feeling awesome!! Congrats!!! Love ya.

Mike and Megz said...

Amber, wow, you made me want to cry!! You are incredible and your story is amazing. We are so sorry we couldn't be there to welcome you as you finished this tremendous accomplishment! We're so proud of you!

Alana Lange said...

Amber, you are amazing! I remember that transformation and wow I can't believe it has been 9 years. You deserve every bit of that sext body with all your hard work! Keep it up and I'm still planning on wppi in february, we'll talk! Congrats girl!

Nutty Nielsen's said...

Amber, you make me want to do better. Your so great and I hope you are so proud of yourself.

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

AWESOME!!!!! I am way impressed.

heath said...

That's awesome. I have phases where I love running--I've found it has a lot to do with if I have somewhere beautiful to run.

The Jeppsen 5 said...

Awesome job, Amber!! That's great!

I love your story! Looking at you now, I have a hard time believing you ever weighed 220!! You lost it, and maintain a healthy weight! Way to go!!!

Michele and Wyatt said...

Congratulations! That is awesome. What an accomplishment. I think the fact that you have had 2 more kids in those 9 years, and still kept your weight down adds to your great story. We are proud of you.

Caldwell's said...

Loved reading your story. You are awesome. What a great accomplishment. I can't fathom running a marathon!! You are in awesome shape.

Mortensen Family said...

Congratulations! That ROCKS! ;)

高雄 said...

hello........................................