Sunday, May 31, 2009

Is it bragging . . . maybe!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE flower gardens. When we bought our house 6 years ago, this is what it looked like. Sorry for the yucky picture, it was my pre digital days, it's actually a scan from a picture on a scrapbook page! It was a foreclosure that had been vacant for almost 5 years. We had it inspected inside and out, and besides obvious repairable stuff, it was in good shape.

We hired a landscape designer to come in and draw us up a landscape blue print. I requested the plan to have LOTS and LOTS of flower beds. He said "I draw up the plans, I don't do the work!"



Well, 6 years later, LOTS of manual labor and THOUSANDS of dollars later, it now looks like this! We refinanced the house for a GREAT interest rate, and in the process had to have the home appraised. We have more than doubled the value of the home in 6 years. I had someone ask me for some before and after pictures, so here they are.












We brought in tractors to haul out old sidewalks and rented a skidloader to haul away loads of dirt. We brought in and DID by ourselves all the brick work for the new sidewalks and courtyard. Hired out the decorative curbing.
I didin't post pics of the backyard, it's not done yet a few more years of work back there still to go, but we brought in an excavator to haul away 50 dumptruck loads of dirt, brought in 3 dumptruck loads of landscape rock, planted 25 trees and hired out curbing there as well. In the process we tipped a skid loader on it's side. Used an old pickup to tie boulders to and drag around the yard. Still have yet to do more brick for another patio and plant about 20 flower beds. Our current project back there is to finish the 200 square foot play area with bark, and play house/playground set.
I've never worked so hard in my life, but I've never felt so rewarded when I smell my Iris' that smell like grape juice and my roses that smell like honey. I love to just sit on the deck and look at my grass grow!

9 comments:

The Jeppsen 5 said...

I love that you like to just sit and look at your grass. I'm the SAME way! Why? It's grass!! But I love it too. Probably cause you did it yourselves, and watched it come from nothing.

Looks beautiful! Great job!

heath said...

That is one beautiful yard! I don't think I'll ever have that kind of motivation though.

Caldwell's said...

It looks great Amber. Sounds like fun too. All except the skid steer on it's side!! We love to work in the yard too. I LOVE flowers too. I know it's a bit of work to have them, but it is so rewarding to admire them. Your yard is beautiful.

Lori Muir said...

Looks fantastic!

Lynja said...

looks Great!!!

Heather said...

I remember when nick & i were engaged and marshall was a couple mos old, nick helped you guys with the front yard. it looks amazing. i don't think i have ever looked at the finished project from the front.

The Jeppsen 5 said...

Hey, lady. I'm seriously looking at that Canon EOS Rebel T1i...take a look if you have time and tell me what you think-otherwise I'm gonna have to kidnap you and take you camera shopping with me :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9318954&type=product&id=1218084392413

(I hope you can copy and paste that link)

Our Family said...

Your yard is beautiful.I wish our grass looked like yours. It's so green. I would brag lots and lots. :) I also had to let you know that I loved your photography blog, and you may be receiving a call from us soon. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

Your yards are beautiful. You should feel very proud of all the hard work you did. It is such a huge undertaking. Way to go.