Monday, December 15, 2008

Yes, Benjamin, There is a Santa Claus

So, Thomas and I decided that at almost 12 years old, it was time for Benjamin to understand the whole "Santa Secret". It's not that we've with held it from him all these years, but for anyone who knows my trusting, ever believing, ever the optimist child, you understand that if he wants to believe that he can design the solar panels we need to power the city for as long as the world is around, then there is NOTHING that can deter him from his belief! Someday, I promise you, my Benjamin will be the one to design those solar panels - watch for his name!!!!

Anyway, thomas found that article titled "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause". He took Benjamin quietly into the office and had a little "heart-to-heart". He talked to him about what his friends at school say about Santa Clause, and read him that article. He talked to him about why we do kind things for others. yada, yada, yada . . .

After about 5 or so minutes, Thomas comes out of the office just a grinning and shaking his head! For our family that knows these to boys, I am sure you're on the floor laughing right now. I'm sure you can picture exactly what was going on behind the office door! For those of you who don't know my boys as well, I'll tell you what Thomas said to me!

"I asked him what he thought about that article I read him. I asked him what he thought it meant . . . he said 'it means there really is a Santa Clause!'" Can you just picture my husband hitting his head against a brick wall going "Doh!" He asked Benjamin why he thought Santa was real - planning on continuing this conversation. Ben said "because there's no way you guys could afford that Hummer Santa brought me last year!" So, my lessons in "we can't afford that" came back and kicked me in the butt!

So, any suggestions on how to tell a 12 year old boy that there isn't a Santa Clause?

p.s. Marshall wrote a letter to santa, he asked for a T.V. he said "since you and dad can't afford it, Santa can just bring it!"

by the way, the rust family is in no need for donations, angel tree, food pantry . . . we're doing fine! :-)

9 comments:

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

That is so funny. What great faith Benjamin must have. . My 10 year old had to break it to me this year that she doesn't believe. It broke my heart. I hate to see them grow up so fast. Good luck. Merry Christmas.

Michele and Wyatt said...

I say just let him believe! Someday he will come to you with doubt. Then you can tell him. Kids grow up so fast anyway, let him stay young.

The Jeppsen 5 said...

Aww...sweet Benjamin! Such a trusting little soul!! I agree with the above comment...let him be young as long as possible!! ;)

Wish upon a Starr said...

Amen!! Little Ben would be heart broken if he found out that there was no Santa. This way, you don't have to worry about him "slipping" with the other kids. He is a cute boy, so innocent, I say be glad he still believes!! We need more people like that, that still believe in the Christmas magic.

Megan and Mike Glines said...

I say let him figure it out on his own. I think that it is him hanging on to his innocence. We need all the innocence that we can come across! Even if it is as simple as the belief in Santa!! I say Ben believe on.

Megan and Mike Glines said...

Amber that last comment was from his big uncle Mike. Megan will have to chime in if she would like too.

Vance & Holly Marler said...

i absolutly love this story! i could just see it all playing out as i read it...i can't quit laughing...remeber Amber...you can't afford it! ha ha

Mortensen Family said...

So fun! Speaking of fun, thanks so much for our beautiful pictures! I made it my header on my blog, so go check it out sometime! :) www.mortensenfam99.blogspot.com :)

Brian and Shara's beautiful family said...

What a great story! I can just see Thomas' face as he walked out the door. I believe with majority of the comments. Let him believe - it's so much more fun when they believe.