Monday, November 3, 2008

Abelskiever Sunday!

For as long as I can remember, every general conference Sunday, my mom would make Abelskievers (spelling????). They are made from a pancake type dough, then cooked in a pan with round circles cut out in it - see below! We usually cover them in syrup, peanut butter, jam, powdered sugar and/or honey! We always had a contest to see who could eat the most. It was usually Wyatt and Dad, that is until we started getting brother-in-laws in the family! Now, it's usually up in the air who is going to win the contest.

Mom bought each of us a pan one year so we could carry on the traditions with our own families. I was excited, because as our family got larger, it got harder to travel all the way to Vernal for something as comparitively small as general conference. Now, my own little family - every General Conference Sunday enjoys these little pancakes!

Here we are this past conference - I think Thomas won the contest this year, although I hear from the Vernal group, that he got no where near the bro-in-laws!! Well, there's always next time!










10 comments:

Vance & Holly Marler said...

looks like you had fun! They look yummy too! What a fun tradition!

Just me! said...

Your family has so many fun traditions. I am jealous.

Amber I was just wondering if you were still interested in photog my family over Thanksgiving? We are going to Provo for Thanksgiving but will be home hopefully Friday night or Saturday morning. Are you going to be available on Saturday? If not please don't worry about it. I didn't realize we would be gone that long and I didn't know we would be out of town. Let me know what your plans are and we can reschedule if needed. Please put your family first...I can always get pictures another time.

Wish upon a Starr said...

I have yet to make ablesk.... With mom close by, don't need to. I should make them just to see if I can even do it. I would have to find my pan, and after the move, i'm not too sure where it is. Maybe I'll go look.
good times though, we've done that as long as I can remember. I love it!!

Tara L. said...

yum! Hey, we made our blog private. If you would like an invite, send me an email ok. tspendlove@hotmail.com

Cam and Amy said...

That's so fun!! good for you guys. Send me your email address and I want to talk photos with you if that's okay. I totally want the sweet spot tests!

Michele and Wyatt said...

That is one of my favorite traditions. We missed it this year because we were in Moab. I can't wait until April. Like Melanie, I have never made them, however, my husband has so I don't have to learn.

Angela said...

I found you! I thought I had tracked you down once before via google, but I must have been mistaken. Good to see you.

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

They look yummy. What a fun tradition!

Shawn said...

Yummy! I've never heard of those, but they look good. What a fun tradition.

Juanita said...

My family loves these too! We have fun with them. Yummy!!! :)