Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

Am I the only one that has mixed emotions about the first day of school? I just sent Benjamin to the Intermediate School (in Vernal we would have called it Middle School). For those that know my children, Benjamin is very small for his age. He is actually closer to his little sister's size (and she's not big either!) and they are 3 years apart! So, I give him the option to have his mom walk him to class, or to just drop him off at the front of the school. He chose to have me walk him to class.

We get to the school, and Benjamin with his new school clothes, backpack, and trumpet gets out of the car, and he is SILENT! He is sooooo nervous. The school is huge, and there are tons of kids coming into the building. We had taken him there once before to walk around and find his classrooms and get comfortable, but it was almost empty when we did that! Today it was obviously a mad house! All of a sudden, I wanted to take him home with me and tell him it was okay to wait a while before going back to school! But we headed towards his class and joined about 15 other kids waiting for the teacher to let them into the classroom. He did find one of his friends had the same class as him and I instantly saw him relax a little. Then it hit me that this would be the year that he would growing up more than any other year and I felt happy for him and sad for him all in the same moment!

Wow, being a mom is weird!

5 comments:

Nik said...

First days of school are so hard! And sometimes more for mom than anyone else. We're so glad to see them grow and yet we still want them to need us. Mom emotions are a roller coaster ride! Hang on!!!!!

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

We can't have kids that old can we? My oldest went to 5th grade this year and I am already dreading next year. I feel your pain, excited yet terrified for what they are about to do.

The Jeppsen 5 said...

Wow! He's old!! I can't believe he's in "middle" school already! I don't have any in school yet, but Chloe's starting preschool next week, and I'm nervous about that. I can only imagine how I'll feel when she gets into a big 'ol middle school!!

Rusts said...

Hey megan, I would love to see your blog, but I need to be invited :-)

If you want, send me an invite at terust@gmail.com!

Michele and Wyatt said...

I can't believe Ben is in Middle School. That is so crazy. I hope he has a great year. Where are your pictures of the first day of school? I love first day of school pictures.