Thursday, July 10, 2008

Motherhood!

So, no pictures to go with this post -- GaSp!!-- I know, I know!
Anywho, I told the kids that I would turn the sprinklers on as soon as I got Abby down for a nap. So we got the three older ones all sun screened and ready to go out and play, I layed Abby down for her nap, I kicked all the kids out into the backyard with all their water toys and I looked around and realized that I was all alone!!!!!!!!!

So, I grabbed the broom and decided that I was going to sweep and mop the floor while all the kids were currently being occupied. I knew that I had at least 45 minutes, because that is how long I set the timer, and Abby always sleeps for at least and hour and a half! Halfway through my sweeping, a thought occured to me that when I got all this work done, that I would snap a picture and email it to Thomas at work, something like "Hey, look the floor really is clean sometimes" . Then I was going to keep the camera out so that I'd have it ready for the first spill. We ALL know that a freshly swept and mopped floor can only stay that way for 20 minutes. Anyway, then I would send the new pic to Thomas and say something like "And this is why it's never clean when you get home hahaha"

Well, I get maybe 10 more seconds of sweeping done, and in walks Marshall dripping from head to toe. Has it really taken me 45 minutes to sweep the floor?? No, it had been all of 10 minutes. And sure enough, he waltzes across the part of the floor that had already been swept . . .drip . . .drip . . .drip. I shoo him outside and get ready to finish sweeping and 2 seconds later in comes Stephanie . . .drip . . .drip . . .drip. Some drama about slipping and stubbing her toe. I tell her to wrap up and go sit on a patio chair until she feels better. drip . . . drip . . . drip . . . out the back door. Then I glance out side to see my eleven year old about to use the water my trees in a manly fashion. I open the door and holler at him to come in and get in his bed . . .drip . . . drip . . . drip. Then I sat down in my chair . . . drip . . . drip - that was just my tears :-) j/k I don't cry over unmopped floors! I didn't even get to take a picture of it being clean!

8 comments:

Tara L. said...

So true, so true. Sometimes I wonder why I ever clean at all. You are not alone.

Marla said...

That is so funny! I just took a break from the whole hands and knees mopping. I have the bucket, knife, scrup pad ect.

The Jeppsen 5 said...

I hear ya, sista!! Never fails, about 10 mintutes after I mop, somebody either spills juice all over it, or slips and falls-haha Cute post!!

Shawn said...

I'm going to use those cute vinyl stickers that everyone does on their walls nowadays and put the saying 'Cleaning your house when you have small children is like shoveling the walk when it is still snowing outside!' Some days I wonder why I even get out the cleaning stuff.

Megan and Mike Glines said...

Amber, I keep telling you that you will never have to mop any food or drink off of the floor if you would just get a dog. You don't have to get two big dogs, a one little dog would suffice!

Michele & Wyatt said...

I hear you. My poor floors never stay clean in the summer... or winter, or spring or fall. But all the other time they are spotless. Maybe in a perfect world, but then I wouldn't be the one cleaning.

Nik said...

The trick is to pick key points in the day....after they're in bed. ha ha Then it stays clean for 8-12 hours until they get up in the morning. You don't get to enjoy it much, but at least you can rest easier. :) I'm really kidding, because then I'd have to sacrifice "my" time to be cleaning. NEVER!

Brian & Shara's beautiful fam said...

Oh, Amber, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels like that. Just last week, I swept the floor and then mopped it. Probably not 15 minutes afterwards, KennaDee was drinking applejuice and somehow, the cup tipped on it's side and apple juice went all over the floor. It never fails.